- 2 eggs + 4tbs milk
- 175g of softened (unsalted) butter
- 17g Caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour + Tsp of baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon and bit of the juice.
1. Cream the sugar and butter together to form a light mixture (electric whisk or go at it by hand) then add the milky egg mix a bit at a time to form a smooth mixture (don’t worry too much if it curdles, just try mix everything together as much as possible).
2. Add the lemon zest and juice to the cake batter
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder + fold into the mixture
4. Pour into a greased +/- floured or lined loaf tin
5. Bake at 180C (160C fan) 55-65mins.
If the top starts to burn, lay a piece of tinfoil over the tin
Once out the oven, prick with a fork and drizzle over the glaze: lemon juice mixed with icing sugar – quantity depends how much you want to add, I usually use the juice of a whole lemon and add a few Tbs of icing sugar to make a sweet runny mixture that the cake absorbs). Add half of this glaze over the pricked cake and save the rest to decorate ….
For the drizzled thicker icing on the top, just add more icing sugar to make a thicker mixture