I bought my dad the Hairy Dieters Cook Book for Christmas last year and his partner is currently dieting with slimming world, she tried this recipe, with the addition of chillies and cyan pepper for a spicy hint and my god was it good. SO tasty. Will defiantly be making it in uni!
Serves 6 – 102 calories per portion
- 1 small butternut squash
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsnips
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp sunflower (or olive oil) oil
- 1L freshly boiled water
- 1 vegetable/chicken stock cube
- Black pepper
- Low-fat natural yoghurt and chives to serve (optional)
- Peel the squash, cut it in half, scoop out the pulp and cut into chunks.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and again chop them into chunks.
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large/deep saucepan and cook the onions and garlic together for 5-10mins until they’re soft and pale.
- Add the squash, parsnips and carrots to the party, pour the water in, and crumble the stock cube over the top.
- Bring all this loveliness to the boil, and then allow to simmer for approx. 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Take off the heat, and using a hand-blender, blitz it until smooth (or chunky if that’s how you like it).
- Serve into bowls, season with black pepper, and swirl the yoghurt to make it fancy.