I had a butternut squash sitting on my kitchen windowsill for a while so decided it was time to look up some tasty recipes on Pinterest (always makes me very hungry!). There were loads of great ideas but I liked the sound of roasting it and stuffing it with some sort of mixture, a ‘Twice baked’ approach. I fancied quinoa and liked the idea of adding apple and carrot to the squash as I thought they would work well together, and of course, if you add cheese to anything it’s bound to taste good! — hey presto, a new recipe was made.
- Drizzle olive oil over your squash and bake cut side down with a tiny bit if water in the bottom of the tray.
- Once cooked, stuff with the quinoa mix and bake until golden/heated through if you are baking a leftover half (they freeze well)
- 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup of water. Rise well then toast in a pan, add water, bring to boil and cover. Leave to sit with lid on once the water has been absorbed.
- 1/2 apple shredded
- 1 grated carrot
- Goats cheese (i just grated a goats cheese babybel)
- Tsp smoked paprika and seasoning to taste
- 1 red onion (softened in a pan)
Mix all the the spices, apple, carrot and cheese to the quinoa ready to fill the squash halves.