After scrolling through Pinterest for healthy flapjack ideas I decided I would invent my own – and they turned out pretty damn good!
Ingredients (Makes 12)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup oats
1/2 cup fruit and seed mix (or dried fruit of choice)
- 1 medium-large very ripe banana
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup of runny honey
1 egg white
Tbsp milled flaxseed
- Tbsp cashew butter
Tbsp pumpkin seed butter
Tbsp almond butter
- Rinse quinoa and dry toast, then cook in a cup of water (you need double the amount of water to quinoa). Cook until the water has evaporated then leave to sit for 10min – do not lift the lid!
- Blitz all the wet ingredients together and add to dry – mix
- Add cooked quinoa and the nut/seed butters …. I used all three as that’s what I had to hand and fancied a bit of variety of all the great health properties, but if you don’t like one, or don’t have them all, just stick to 3Tbs of a nut butter of your choice. The heat from the quinoa melts the nut butter so it can all blend together.
- Pour and flatten out into a lined/greased baking tray and bake at 180C until golden.
- Once cooled, cut into squares
Reasons why these are awseome!
- These could easily be made gluten free by using gluten free oats
- The quinoa, egg white and nut butters add a great protein hit = fully for longer
- No refined sugar – sweetened by apple sauce, banana, honey and dried fruit
- No butter = no saturated fats
- They are scrummy!