This weekend is a friend of a friends birthday party, of which I am also attending. The Birthday Girl has decided to throw a ‘PUDDING PARTY’ and as my contribution; I have whipped up some quick and easy cupcakes. These are so good to make as everyone normally has the basic store cupboard ingredients, possibly a lemon laying around and berries are a nice added extra.
- 2 medium eggs
- 120g Self raising flour + Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 120g Butter (room temperature)
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- Icing sugar (amount varies depending on amount of lemon juice)
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the zest of one whole lemon
- Incorporate the eggs one at a time along with the juice of half the lemon (saving the other half for the drizzle)
- Sift in the flour & bicarbonate —- stir until everything has combined
- Spoon out (~ heaped tablespoon) of mix into cupcake cases and poke in a few (I used two) blueberries in the middle of the batter
- Bake until golden brown/metal knife comes out clean ….. whilst the cupcakes are baking, make up your lemon drizzle mixture using the juice of half a lemon and icing sugar. You want the mix to still be runny enough to soak through the cake, but enough icing sugar that the lemon isn’t too tart.
- As the cakes come out the oven, prick them with a toothpick/skewer and spoon over a teaspoon of lemon drizzle over each cupcake
- Once cooled. It’s time to make the lemon drizzle (decoration) icing — To the remainder of your drizzle, add in more icing sugar to get a thicker paste.
- Drizzle over your cakes and enjoy!